Thursday, October 4, 2012

#Blog 8: New York City

Hi, this is Ramu. Now I'm in Boston because of studying abroad. I went to New York City for trip on the weekend. So today, I'm going to talk about New York City. NYC has a population of more than 8,000,000 people that it is the biggest city in the United States. And also the city has the highest finance centers, business, culture, fashion and entertainment, which influence  them all over the world as the city is called; The big Apple, Gotham, Center of the Universe, The City That Never Sleep and Capital of the World. In 1624, NYC was built as an exchange place by Dutch, and it was called New Amsterdam. Surprisingly, the then Dutch Admiral, Peter Minuit bought Manhattan Island from Native American for marbles, knifes and stitches worth just 24 dollars. In 1664, England defeated Holland, and New Amsterdam changed to England's colony which was named New York by Duke of York. After the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, 1776, New York became a capital of the United States for the first time and an entrance of great immigration into the United States, so a variety of cultures were mixed then. Trade and shipping were main industries. Finance, communication and waterworks were rapidly developed by the industrial revolution in the late 1800's. These industries and cultures have brought New York City to be the biggest city all over the world. You should visit New York once if you possible. There are many entertainments and famous buildings as everybody knows that.

4 comments:

  1. I'm Sosuke. I think you had a good time in NYC. After reading your blog, I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Takumi. I want to go study abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Shiki. Your study abroad is so interesting. I want to hear more your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Koei. I also want to go NY. How long did you stay in the United States?

    ReplyDelete